Thursday, January 23, 2014

The works of God made manifest...

Growing up I never imagined that I would have 2 children with special needs. I always envisioned my "perfect" little family: very well behaved children, immaculate home, adorable children, lots of laughing and fun, and most especially love. And honestly I felt like I deserved that family. I was a "perfect" child. I never gave my parents grief: I was obedient, well-behaved, loving, and kind. So for some reason I thought I should have gotten what I wanted. I have struggled and been at times quite angry that I didn't get that family. I at times have felt like God was punishing me by giving me children with special needs. I have since come around and realized that all those feelings were "false beliefs" (something I think and believe in my head, but it just is downright false). 

One day I was crying on the phone to my sister about these very struggles and thoughts that I was just talking about. And she told me about a man that she had just met the other night at a dinner. He was an older gentleman who had several children (8 I think, I can't remember) and every one of them has some sort of special need or disability. He told her that yes life was challenging and difficult but every single one of his children was a blessing from God. He said that when he looks at his children he thinks of a scriptural story from the Bible. 

It is in John 9: 1 - 3 

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

He said to my sister, we weren't given these children with special needs because we sinned, or as some kind of punishment. They have come here to earth so that the works of God could be made manifest through them.

When she told me that, it helped me so much. These children who come to this earth that are "different" are very special. They aren't easy all the time but they help so many people around them. I have sat and thought about it and I think that there are more children coming to this earth with special needs because this world is becoming such a ME world. And having all these kids with special needs almost forces people to think about and serve others who can't do everything for themselves. And THAT is a work of God. 

Here are 2 YouTube videos that demonstrate my point exactly. 




God isn't punishing me by giving me two special needs children. He has entrusted them to me and is giving me the privilege of seeing His works being manifest through my boys to all those who they come in contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment